Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Little Lesson in Vanity

Well, I couldn't be more excited to be featured on Just a A Girl's blog as a Feature Friday project!
Once again she has inspired me- this time to blow the dust off my keyboard and resurrect my oh-so-outdated blog. This moving process has be a yearlong process, but now we are finally settled in. WooHoo! 
Once all of the projects around the house are complete I promise to find time to start scrapbooking again. My room is organized and only requires a few minor touches. :0) I have a retreat coming up in August so I'm so glad I'll be "forced" to pull out the tape gun and dig through my tubs of patterned paper and get creative. Until then, I thought I would highlight a few of our little around-the-house DIY projects!

My favorite so far is my bathrooom vanity.

When we chose our floor plan we knew we would have to do a few tweaks. One of those being the master bathroom space. For some reason the designer thought it would be a good idea to put an awkward linen closet sticking right out of the middle of the wall. Since the closet had ample shelving we eliminated the linen closet which left a 9 foot wall just begging for a piece of fabulous furniture. I knew I needed a vanity for all of my makeup and girlie products so the hunt began. Luckily my husband is an architect with some pretty awesome clients and one of them spotted this fabulous vanity in a vintage clothing store in The Heights, Houston. We ran down there and snatched up the 9 ft. long, yellow monstrosity as we could. 
Thanks to Chris and her fabulous painting tutorial I had a plan! I got a great deal at Benjamin Moore on the paint when I sweet talked him into giving me contractor pricing. I found the water-based primer version of the oil-based one she mentions which isn't quite as good. If I could do it over again, I would do a light sanding before priming or hunt down her oil-based primer.  Maybe I wouldn't need as many coats of paint- 6 to be exact! I think it turned out pretty nice and made the painting well worth it in the end though! 
After screwing on the Hobby Lobby "$2 dollar each" knobs, the vanity was complete! We painted the walls with Benjamin Moore Harbor Haze paint. I finally got to hang the awesome mirror from ZGallerie my hubby got me for Christmas. The lamps and chair were a super exciting find at our Marshall's Homegoods and the chandelier hanging above the tub is a great Overstock knockoff of the Pottery Barn version for a fraction of the price. I do love my bargains! 
I'll pick out a few more projects to share soon! As for now, I leave you with my boys "Seal of Approval". 




4 comments:

parsonsfamily said...

beautiful!!! I so wish I was still there to be able to visit you and see your gorgeous new home. Hugs!

Dee said...

That's a great vanity -- 9ft & all those drawers!

Colleen said...

Gorgeous! I'm chanting, "Thou shalt not covet thy friend's vanity."

curlyqmosaics said...

Your new vanity looks absolutely amazing! Talk about a pretty makeover, I love the crisp white with those knobs. Can't wait to see more of your projects! :)